Simmy is a passionate advocate for the rights of injured people as well as their families. Since joining Tkatch & Associates, she has appeared before various levels of court, including the Superior Court of Justice, Ontario Court of Justice, Financial Services Commission of Ontario, Licence Appeals Tribunal and the Small Claims Court. Simmy’s practice focuses on motor vehicle accidents (both tort and accident benefits), slip & falls, trip and falls, long-term and short-term disability claim denials, product liability, dog bites as well as other personal injury law related matters.
Simmy enjoys working with various community groups and was a longstanding member of the Board of Directors for the Community Legal Clinic of York Region, helping to ensure access to justice to those who need it. She also takes on an active mentoring role, speaking on panels with the University of Toronto as well as the Ontario Bar Association. She has been a U of T Cup (mooting competition) judge for the past 3 years. Simmy also holds an A.R.C.T. in Piano Performance from the Royal Conservatory of Music.
Simmy is a member of the Law Society of Ontario, Canadian Bar Association, Ontario Bar Association, Toronto Lawyers Association, Ontario Trial Lawyers Association, Federation of Asian Canadian Lawyers and was previously an executive member of the Association of Chinese Canadian Lawyers of Ontario. Simmy speaks Cantonese (Chinese).
Representative Court Decisions:
H.L.P. v. Allstate Insurance (Costs order against an insurer)
Simmy is a Global News Contributor in the field of personal injury law:
- Global News - Dealing with liability in slip and fall accidents
- Global News - Involved in an at-fault car accident? You are still entitled to benefits
- Global News - Claiming against the city for slip and fall accidents on icy sidewalks
Simmy also contributes to The Huffington Post in the field of personal injury law:
- The Huffington Post - Do you have insurance coverage as a cyclist?
- The Huffington Post - Here Are the Steps of a Lawsuit
- The Huffington Post - Who Is At Fault for This Car Accident?
Simmy has been featured on The Canadian Press in the field of personal injury law:
- The Canadian Press - Pokemon GO players must use common sense to avoid injury
Simmy has been featured on CanLII in the field of personal injury law:
- CanLII Connects - Experts should not bow to pressure of ‘deep pockets’
Simmy has been featured on The Lawyer’s Daily in the field of personal injury law:
- The Lawyer’s Daily (LexisNexis) - How the courts hold expert witnesses’ feet to the fire
Simmy has written for The Litigator in the field of personal injury law:
- The Litigator (December 2020 issue) – Limiting Liability: Costs of Keeping Parties In
- The Litigator (Spring 2022 issue) – Obtaining Court Approval for Infant Settlements
- Board of Directors, Community Legal Clinic of York Region