Motor Vehicle Accidents 

At Tkatch & Associates, we understand that motor vehicle accidents can occur unexpectedly, and completely devastate a person and their loved ones’ lives. We are fully aware of the headaches and frustrations that accompany dealing with insurance companies while making a claim. We understand the difficulties of dealing with an injury, and our team of injury lawyers will do our very best to help you receive the compensation and support you deserve, allowing you to fully focus on your recovery and health. Murray Tkatch, our lead personal injury lawyer at Tkatch & Associates, has over three decades of experience helping injury victims, and oversees all the cases.

If you have been in a car accident, you have two ways to make a claim for compensation: (a) filing a lawsuit, which is referred to as a “Tort Claim” and; (b) applying for Accident Benefits that are collected from either your own insurance company or the insurance company of the other car or vehicle involved in the accident.

Whether you are a driver, passenger, or pedestrian, you are entitled to commencing a tort claim and an accident benefits claim to recover compensation for your injuries.

After a car accident, you may suffer severe and permanent injuries or conditions, such as:

  • Spinal cord injury;
  • Brain injury;
  • Concussion;
  • Fractures;
  • Torn ligaments;
  • Broken bones;
  • Whiplash;
  • Chronic pain;
  • Psychological injury;
  • Temporary disability;
  • Permanent disability;
  • Compromised ability to work; and/or
  • Wrongful death

You have legal recourse to recover compensation for injuries suffered by you and your loved ones. Our lawyers at Tkatch & Associates will protect your rights. Contact us today for a free legal consultation.

Steps to Take After Being Involved in a Car Accident:

  • Notify the police
  • Take pictures of the accident, if you can
  • Record the names and contact information of all parties and motorists involved in the accident
  • Record the driver’s license of the other parties, as well as the insurance information of the other vehicles
  • Record the names and contact information of any witnesses
  • Notify your employer and/or school
  • Notify your insurance provider within 7 days in order to obtain Accident Benefits to which you are entitled
  • –>If you have been injured, you can request that your insurance company provide you with an application for accident benefits
    –>Make sure your application is completed within thirty days of receiving it

  • Keep all receipts and proof of expenses for all injured parties so that you can be reimbursed later
  • Contact your family health care provider and let them know of any injuries you have sustained as a result of the accident, and see them for an examination
  • Contact Tkatch & Associates
  • We understand dealing with an injury will require upfront payment of medical expenses and other related expenses. When appropriate, our team of injury lawyers can have the insurance company reimburse you for any out-of-pocket expenses related to medical treatment of your injuries prior to the settlement being reached. Our team of lawyers is dedicated to helping you get fairly compensated for your medical expenses, loss of income, and any pain or suffering you have incurred as a result of an accident.

Accident Benefits

Statutory accident benefits are available to anyone involved in a motor vehicle accident, regardless of fault. Whether you are the driver, passenger, or pedestrian involved in a car accident, you are still entitled to these benefits.

You may be entitled to recover lost income in the amount of 70% of your income from employment (up to a maximum of $400.00 per week). If you were not employed at the time of the accident, you may be entitled to non-earner benefits if you suffer a complete inability to carry on normal life. You may also be entitled to medical rehabilitation, attendant care, housekeeping, death benefits, and funeral expenses.

Tkatch and Associates is committed to pursuing all the benefits to which you and your loved ones are entitled. We have extensive experience and highly trained staff to assist you with your case. Call us today to discuss your application for accident benefits.

Limitation Period

Generally, you have 2 years from the date of the accident to commence a lawsuit. There are exceptions, but if you do not meet the “2 year rule”, you may lose your right to sue forever. Because of this time limitation, it is important to contact us immediately.

Contact Us

Toronto Office
49 Gloucester Street
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
M4Y 1L8

Gravenhurst Office
640 Muskoka Rd North
Granvehurst, Ontario, Canada
P1P 1E7

About us

Murray Tkatch began to practice personal injury law in 1981. As the senior lawyer for the firm he will always be responsible for your file. The firm works as a team to make sure you have the best possible representation.